According to Handy, smart home renovations offer the highest ROI and allow you to ensure that your property is always relevant in the real estate market. Plus, it ensures that you get the most out of your home if you ever want to sell it. Smart home renovations not only improve the value of your home but also increase its functionality.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips you can follow to increase the functionality and value of your home:
- Remodel your kitchen – A modern kitchen can become the central feature in an old house and yield a massive ROI. Installing modern appliances in your kitchen, adding new cabinet hardware, and applying a fresh coat of paint not only makes the kitchen look marvelous but also makes it much more functional.
The idea is to maximize the functional space of the kitchen area, especially if the layout is not appealing since it can become the deciding factor when selling the house.
- Replace the entryway and garage door – One of the best ways to add value and functionality to your home is to add steel entryway doors since it improves the security of your property. Plus, since steel doors are more durable, they offer a premium look to your house.
Replacing old garage doors is another great way to improve its aesthetic, add more functionality, and improve the value of your house. Generally, natural wood or gray tones look good if you want to sport a modern look.
- Add vinyl siding replacement – Vinyl siding replacement can allow your home to withstand extreme weather while requiring minor maintenance. Even better, vinyl siding can last up to 40 years after being painted. Thus, it offers tremendous value to your house and offers many other advantages that make it easier to sell your house in the future.
- Add a composite deck – Composite decking is much more durable than wooden decking although they are a bit on the expensive side. However, composite decking doesn’t require sealing or much maintenance. Plus, they are stain-proof and weather-resistant. However, if you are low on budget, a wooden deck can also be a nice addition to your property.
- Consider window replacement – Replacing the windows of your house can attract more home buyers but they don’t cost a ton of money. You can consider vinyl windows if you don’t want to do much maintenance and want something that is affordable.
An alternative to vinyl is wooden windows which offer a classic charm that can suit well for older homes. Wooden windows are more energy-efficient than vinyl windows and better for the cold weather. However, vinyl windows continue to be more popular since wooden windows are more expensive and require painting and sealing to prevent rotting.
Handy believes that you can handle most minor to moderate home improvement projects on your own with moderate DIY skills. It can allow you to save some money on the labor costs which you can invest in improving the functionality and value of your home.